Analyst, Finance and Accounting
Analyst, Finance and Accounting
Ref#: 2018- FA
The Atlantic Pilotage Authority (APA) is a Federal Crown Corporation responsible for providing a safe and efficient marine pilotage service in Atlantic Canada.
We are currently seeking an Analyst, Finance and Accounting for our Halifax head office. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Analyst will be responsible for professionally supporting the financial self-sufficiency of the Authority. The successful incumbent must be a self-motivated team player capable of functioning in a dynamic environment. S/he must possess a strong financial knowledge, have proven ability to take initiative and be an energetic team player. S/he must meet the key criteria as outlined below to qualify:
The Analyst, Finance and Accounting will perform complex professional tasks related to financial accounting. With care and consideration for established accounting standards, the assigned responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Accurate preparation and execution of various biweekly and monthly payroll functions and remittances.
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements including all adjusting entries, calculations, estimates, and exhibits.
- Completion of Monthly Bank Reconciliations.
- Completion of monthly HST/GST returns.
- Performance of financial reconciliations and account balancing as required.
- Supervision of the accounts payable/receivable areas and provide advice and guidance to assure they are performed properly.
- Provision of guidance to other personnel and solve problems in all aspects of the financial operation as required.
- Analysis of monthly operating results against budget.
- Provision of financial analysis of various aspects of the company's operations, including financial outlooks and individual port analysis.
- Accurate preparation of financial statements and reports as required by the CFO using word processing, spreadsheets, and accounting software. These documents will include confidential reports required under the Financial Administration Act and confidential reports to the Board of the Authority and its Committees.
- Assistance with the company's financial planning and budget management functions.
- Preparation of final budgets and forecasts, and monitoring performance against those benchmarks by various departments and personnel.
- Assistance in the preparation and submission of the Annual Corporate Plan to Transport Canada and a number of other reports required by the Government.
- Assist CFO in all audits including preparation of audit documents, acting as a primary contact for the auditors and providing recommendations for and implementation of noted procedural improvements. Performing other internal audit functions when required.
- Assisting with the preparation of the official annual report - the design, provide financial results, and contribute to the analysis and content.
- Special projects or studies as required by CFO or CEO.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in French considered an asset.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Dedication and strong work effort.
- Strong time management skills.
- Aptitude to multitask with many interruptions in a continually changing office environment.
- An ability to build valuable relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven strong leadership skills with an ability to make educated decisions and understand financial documentation to make recommendations to senior management.
- Must hold a minimum of three (3) year of relevant working experience, where s/he has been progressively responsible for accounting and financial operations.
- Must hold a Chartered Professional Accountant designation (CPA), submission of program grades will be required.
- Must hold a university degree in an applicable accounting, finance, economics or business-related program. A Master of Business Administration or Master of Public Administration degree will be considered an asset.
- Strong aptitude with computer applications, including Microsoft Office, financial accounting software, and applicable database applications.
- Experience working with internal or external audit criteria considered an asset.
How to apply
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume and required qualification documentation to HR@atlanticpilotage.com. Applicants must provide certification documents before the closing date of July 6th, 2018 at 1600hrs to be considered for the position, no exceptions. For more information, please visit: https://www.atlanticpilotage.com/news/job-opportunities/
The Atlantic Pilotage Authority would like to thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The Authority adheres to the spirit of Employment Equity Program. Learn more about the APA at www.atlanticpilotage.com