"Moncton is a vibrant and culturally rich community. It is the only officially bilingual city in Canada, as well as one of the best places in Canada to do business. Moncton is also known as the economic, sports, tourism and entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada. City of Moncton employees strive to maintain its reputation as one of the best places in Canada to live, study, work and play."
The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for Fire Chief.
This exciting position is a strategic leader and ambassador for the City of Moncton. The City is seeking a visionary leader who will champion the mission, vision and organizational behaviors of the Corporations and foster a forward thinking and positive workplace culture.
This position is responsible for leading the operation of the Moncton Fire Department. The incumbent is responsible for planning, organizing and directing all administrative and technical matters related to fire suppression, fire prevention, fire related emergency planning, emergency medical first responses, rescue operations, hazardous materials responses and public education for the municipality. The incumbent is responsible for facilitating effective labour relations, ensuring staffs are trained, developing and implementing change management/process improvement initiatives and leading the effective and efficient operation of the Department to meet the City's current and future needs. In addition, the Fire Chief is the City of Moncton's Director of Emergency Planning.
This position reports directly to the General Manager of Community Safety Services
The successful candidate must have the following minimum qualifications:
- University degree (i.e. Public Administration or Business Administration) or equivalent and/or 8 to 10 years of progressive experience along with NFPA Fire Officer Certification.
- Incident Command training and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading transformational change.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, planning, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong conflict resolution skills with proven experience resolving complex and sensitive issues in a unionized environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both official languages (oral; English and French) is required. Must meet INTERMEDIATE+ (2+) Level as per the Province of New Brunswick Linguistic Standards in both languages as a minimum requirement
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills. (social media experience is an asset)
- A demonstrated ability to manage by objectives and for results.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human resource management and budget administration.
- Knowledge of Lean Six Sigma methodologies and tools is considered an asset
- Ability to develop solutions to complex problems and manage using data.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate meetings and groups.
- The ability to delegate effectively.
- Effective negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated capability to establish and maintain a productive team environment.
- The Fire Chief leads a senior management team composed of a Deputy Chief of Operations, Four Platoon Chiefs, a Division Chief of Training, a Division Chief of Fire Prevention and one administrative support position.
- Must work long hours when need arises and be able to cope with stressful conditions. Must attend public and private council meetings when requested.
- Travel requirement is minimal.
MISSION: Working together to grow our economy and enhance the quality of life for all citizens.
VISION: A city that inspires.
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIORS: Sustainability, diversity, creativity, engagement and leadership.
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at: www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application in Human Resources at City Hall. To obtain more information, please contact Johanna Klompmaker, Manager, Employment and Recruitment at (506) 853?3520.
CLOSING DATE: NOON – JUNE 29, 2018?
(The City of Moncton thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those scheduled for interviews will be contacted)