QA Services Manager
Reports To: Director, Production Services
Location: St. John's, NL, Canada (must be eligible to work in this location)
Inmarsat plc is the leading provider of global mobile satellite communications services. Since 1979, Inmarsat has been providing reliable voice and high-speed data communications to governments, enterprises and other organizations, with a range of services that can be used on land, at sea or in the air. Inmarsat operates around the world, with a presence in the major ports and centres of commerce on every continent. Inmarsat is listed on the London Stock Exchange (ISAT.L). For more information, please visit www.inmarsat.com.
Primary role Purpose:
The Manager, Quality Assurance Services is responsible for the leadership and successful implementation, execution, and maintenance of quality assurance activities within Group IT. The Manager will apply proven analytical and problem-solving skills to help validate IT solutions and deliverables through careful testing in order to maximize the benefit of business investments.
The candidate will have hands-on experience with all phases of a QA test cycle, covering functional, non-functional and automated test processes. The candidate will have experience executing quality control within an agile software delivery approach such as Lean, Scrum and/or DevOps. The Manager will work collaboratively with an offshore team to develop, implement and expand QA processes and capabilities in conjunction with local QA Analysts and test team members to operate efficiently and effectively. The role will also work directly with program specific managed testing service providers and evolve the strategic managed service provider model to ensure maximum value and effectiveness is achieved from the business relationships.
You will primarily be responsible for:
- Actively managing the operationalization of a transition of the testing function to a fully automated, agile and DevOps style team environment
- Proactively and effectively manage the services provided by managed service testing provider(s) ensuring a high quality of services are maintained and relevant KPIs are monitored and managed
- Define and manage resource requirements and allocations, monitor and improve quality, and ensure 'best practice' Quality Assurance techniques
- Lead the development, establishment, and enforcement of quality assurance measures and testing standards for new applications, products, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout their development/product lifecycles.
- Direct, motivate and develop staff within the Quality Assurance function, maximizing their individual contribution, their professional growth and their ability to function effectively with as a team
- Making recommendations regarding the ongoing viability of a project plan based on ability to deliver upon agreed functionality within approved budget and schedule for medium to large complex projects
- Determine the selection and appropriate usage of automated test tools and data collection tools.
- Apply established metrics to determine the readiness, quality, and operability of software, systems, and products due for production release
- Conduct audits to measure and assure adherence to established QA standards for software development, application integration, and information system performance, and corresponding documentation.
- Coordinate testing of new software to ensure integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and technical specifications.
- Communicate test progress, test results, and other relevant information to project stakeholders and executive management.
- Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of quality assurance best practices.
- Work in collaboration with Project Managers, Production Services and other Group IT teams to develop and ensure the effectiveness of QA capabilities
- Plans and directs work activities within the QA function, and continuously monitors progress such that responsibilities, goals and objectives are accomplished efficiently, completely, and within established timeframes
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to work and interact with business users and team members in a geographically distributed model
- A strong background in Quality Assurance (Functional, Automation and/or Performance Testing and working knowledge of Penetration Testing)
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Must have the ability to actively manage testing partners (vendors) involved in executing the testing function within Inmarsat project teams
- Experience working with and managing work activities under a managed services model
- Demonstrable experience creating high quality test documentation/artefacts
- Experience utilizing automated and /or continuous testing tools such as HP ALM, Selenium, Junit, etc
- Familiarity with some or all of the following tools: Java IDE (IntelliJ or Eclipse), SonarLint,, Cucumber-JVM plugins, Postman (an application in Google Chrome), JMeter, Mock Server, MounteBank, LeanKit, Jira
- Familiarity with CI/CD practices and technologies like GitHub, Jenkins, Maven
- Must have the ability to present information to groups with the appropriate degree of formality
- Strong knowledge of system testing metrics, best practices and methodologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent coaching, listening, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- College diploma or university degree in software engineering, computer science, or business administration and/or 7 years equivalent work experience, 3 or more leading a QA function.
- Previous experience with managing or working with offshore teams very desirable
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Ability to work across cultures effectively, valuing diversity within a virtual team.