Director of Research
At the New Brunswick Innovation Foundation (NBIF), we strive to change the world one idea at a time. We make dreams come true by enabling innovators to turn their ideas into reality. Our talented team of professionals share a can-do attitude and rely on teamwork to support our clients and to solve complex problems each day. Together we make a significant impact and share a desire to transform our community, all while gaining a breadth of knowledge and experience that's beyond compare.
At NBIF, innovation is more than a buzzword, innovation is our business. No one day is ever the same as we work with some of the most amazing innovators and help them to realize their dreams. We offer a workplace that empowers our people to do meaningful work and to learn, grow and develop. We believe in continuous learning and refuse to accept the status quo.
You share our enthusiasm and passion for innovation and embrace a startup mindset. You are creative and thoughtful, yet thrive in an environment with competing priorities and tight deadlines. You take pride in your work, excel under pressure, and enjoy helping people. You collaborate well with others and are there to support the organization as a team player and communicator.
We are looking for a Director of Research to join our organization. This individual will play a leading role in managing our ever-growing portfolio of research investments, managing our various funding programs in support of applied research and talent development, managing and developing our research team, and realizing sustainable results and outcomes.
- Develop and implement strategy for the NBIF's research investment activities in support of the organization's mandate and shared vision
- Actively manage and support NBIF's research and talent development funding programs and oversee its portfolio of research investments with a focus on results and outcomes
- Manage the evaluation process for research funding applications, including preparing and presenting recommendations as well as organizing and assisting evaluation committees
- Develop and maintain trusted relationships with key stakeholders within the research community
- Proactively work with researchers to assist with commercializing their research outcomes
- Maintain an excellent understanding of the research funding landscape in New Brunswick and Canada, including knowledge of federal funding programs, such as NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR, and CFI
- Advocate for research and innovation in the province and within the NBIF, and take a leading role in championing research and promoting success stories through various marketing initiatives like R3
- Manage and develop the research team, with a focus on performance management, and the professional and personal development of each team member
- Support the CEO with vision casting, strategy development, and business planning
- Ensure customer service excellence and the continuous improvement of internal controls and monitoring/measuring of investments
- Prepare briefing documents upon request, and perform other tasks as requested from time to time
- A graduate degree from a recognized university program that ideally involved a research requirement
- 10+ years of progressive and relevant work experience
- Written and spoken proficiency in both French and English
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and trusted relationships with external and internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated knowledge of the research community and a solid understanding of applied research and its commercialization, as well as the New Brunswick economy
- A proven knowledge of research methodologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of business development strategies and commercialization methodology
- An entrepreneurial mindset, and a willingness to work with academia to help in the commercialisation of research results
- A positive attitude, open mindedness, and a commitment to achieving sustained results
- A passion for research and innovation
Work With Us
This full-time position is based in Fredericton, New Brunswick. The role involves travel and some work outside of normal business hours. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package based on your qualifications and experience.