Director, Geomatics -Transportation, Infrastructure, Power - Ontario
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects. In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP , Canada's largest Geomatics service provider is currently seeking a Director, Geomatics to lead and develop our Ontario business, focused on servicing the market-leading national business lines of Transportation, Infrastructure and Power. WSP Canada has earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects. Located in our Canadian Operations Headquarters in Thornhill, and reporting to the National Vice President, Geomatics, this senior position will be responsible for and actively involved in the strategic leadership, development and management of the regional business and in promoting an integrated platform of Geomatics Services to the wider business.
The Director will work closely with the VP Geomatics to develop and execute the vision, strategy, and objectives of the Geomatics Business Line and will be instrumental in growing WSP's position as a leading services provider. The successful candidate is recognized as a motivating leader with a proven ability to build and manage a top-performing team, mentor staff, achieve operational and profitability targets, have a genuine commitment to the firm's values, and manage client relationships.
This is a unique opportunity to grow an existing, established business with a remarkable upside career potential as part of our strategic plan which already offers innovative, value-engineered solutions that draw on decades of experience.
Leveraging your valuable experiences building a discipline across Ontario and through your understanding of the challenges and risks of this sector, you will have significant and recognized impact optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business; developing plans, programs and organizational objectives to enhance margins, workforce utilization, and revenue generation. This will enable the fundamental and organic growth of the business, ensure client satisfaction and help position WSP to be Future Ready.
- Develop the annual regional budget and business strategy, in alignment with the national Geomatics' and corporate budgets and strategies;
- Oversee the setting of regional and staff objectives as well as the creation and implementation of local action plans, all in support of achieving goals related to: budgets, financial performance, quality, safety, and culture;
- Ensure the region meets set financial targets including: Net Revenue, Operating Margin and DSO;
- Monitor, measure, and report on regional results, opportunities, business development plans, challenges and achievements;
- Provide operational expertise and oversight within the region to team leads and other Managers;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other Geomatics managers, other WSP business line leaders and senior corporate leadership, representing Ontario's needs and identifying opportunities to resource share and collaborate to improve overall efficiency;
- Work with WSP's various Support Services groups (IT, HR, Finance, Safety, Quality) acting as the key liaison for the region. Be a change leader, taking responsibility to understand the various national programs and practices which are being rolled out and providing support and training to staff to implement these locally;
- Maintain a high degree of personal involvement with major clients and other WSP business lines. Proactively seek to understand evolving internal / external client needs, local and industry trends and upcoming project opportunities in Ontario. Anticipate and plan for maximizing business growth opportunities;
- Manage proposals and contractual agreements originating within the region, liaise with Geomatics Business Development staff to create local business development plans;
- Understand the short and long-term workforce requirements for the region. This includes identifying future skill sets required and any gaps, utilizing WSP programs to proactively build a strong talent pool; ensuring a succession plan is in place for key positions;
- Lead local safety and quality efforts ensuring staff are current on evolving programs and practices; ensure improvement action plans are created and implemented in response to audit results;
- Act as a spokesperson for WSP within the community and encourage staff to do the same. Participate in industry associations and proactively work to raise local WSP brand awareness.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere where people want to work and encourage all employees to "Question The Predictable, Stand For Innovation, Change The Landscape."
- Post-secondary education degree/diploma in a Geomatics or Civil Engineering program;
- Professional Land Surveyor designation is an asset;
- Have a minimum of 10 years of experience in a Geomatics leadership role with a variety of Geomatics experience in the Transportation, Infrastructure, and Renewable Power industries;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of corporate structures, administrative and operational procedures and financial reporting;
- Experience pursuing / managing client relationships is an asset;
- Committed to outstanding service quality and safety performance;
- Capable of creating and leading a high performing and efficient team;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with a commitment to promoting strong communication amongst other WSP Geomatics' office locations;
- Strong change management skills with the ability to lead others accordingly;
- Effective decision maker, holding both yourself and others accountable to same.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
Future Ready is WSP's program to the future more clearly, and to work with clients to design for this future as well as for today's needs
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.