National Practice Leader, Tunneling
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects. In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a National Practice Leader, Tunneling to join our Water and Wastewater business line, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Vice President, Water and Wastewater, this position will be responsible for marketing, developing, designing and managing of tunnel projects, with emphasis in managing complex underground projects for both infrastructure and transportation initiatives. The position will symbiotically work with-in the organization to build and develop a group that will win and deliver work with tunneling components in collaboration with our partners across Canada and the US.
- Effectively communicate with the public and with client's technical staff, management and governing boards
- Work collaboratively with WSP Infrastructure leadership team to ensure resources throughout the Tunnel Practice are being utilized on projects and pursuits
- Initiate and maintain extensive contacts with key officials of other organizations
- Work with colleagues to deliver intelligent solutions that ensure quality project delivery
- Attend conferences and workshops to strengthen existing client relationships and establish new relationships; obtain an understanding of emerging technologies and market drivers
- Maintain a high local and regional profile
- Masters degree in Civil Engineering or related discipline
- 15+ years progressive experience in design, construction and project management of tunnel structures
- Past experience having built a tunneling practice/group within an organization.
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Ability to manage and collaborate across geographically disbursed teams
- Demonstrated experience in the design of tunnel excavation and support systems for transportation projects
- Comprehensive knowledge of trenchless technology and tunneling methods
- Understanding of geotechnical condition assessment and documentation for ground tunneling
- Actively engaged with the tunnel design and construction professional community
- Proven track record with large client program management, pursuit execution, and multidisciplinary team management
- Experience in client prepositioning activities, team (internal and external partners) and proposal development
- Familiarity with local and federal funding and project development requirements
- Background in Design-Build or Public-Private Partnership delivery methods on major tunneling projects, including funding options and negotiations for end-client
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid Driver's License required
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
Future Ready is WSP's program to the future more clearly, and to work with clients to design for this future as well as for today's needs
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.