What is the opportunity?
Based in Calgary, Alberta, the Building Envelope Specialist will be responsible for work in a variety of fields in the building envelope consulting industry including both existing buildings and new construction work.
Entuitive is looking for self-motivated problem solvers, with the ability to think 'outside of the box', with the ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative team environment.
Entuitive's current and active project portfolio is diverse and exciting – from high profile cultural venues, commercial and residential skyscrapers, to healthcare facilities, multi-family residential and affordable housing, we operate across Canada and the United States.
Currently we are looking for an individual suited for and interested in working on a wide variety of projects and tasks. Strong time management and communication skills are essential assets, as-is self-accountability and capability to work as a part of a comprehensive team across the full spectrum of a building lifecycle.
What will you do?
As an Intermediate Building Envelope Specialist at Entuitive, your duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Perform and assist in the investigation and assessment of both new and existing buildings.
- Participate in collaborative design review for new construction projects, working with architects and other consultants to develop building envelope details and maintain best practice principles,
- Develop design documents in collaboration with an internal design team for proposed construction and rehabilitation work for existing buildings,
- Perform contract administration (CA) duties for both new and existing construction, with the specific duties defined by the project requirements. This includes both desktop and field review,
- Typical CA duties for new construction typically includes, but is not limited to:
- Review of shop drawings and product data submittals
- Review of Requests for Information (RFI)
- Participation in design and other meetings
- Perform field review and prepare/issue supplemental reporting
- Review of progress payment claims and project closeout documents
- Typical CA for existing construction typically includes, but is not limited to:
- In addition to items noted above, acting as the 'Prime' Consultant
- Support documents for associated permits
- Day to day liaison between the client and contractor
- Research of new products and systems as needed for the servicing or portfolio of projects related to new construction,
- Participate in business development with clients, contractors, manufacturers, and suppliers. This can also include developmental learning for yourself and/or the team in the form of workshops, webinars, etc.
- Implementation and adherence of Entuitive's quality assurance programs to ensure that services meet Entuitive's standards and our client's expectations
- Internal roles in the ongoing development our technical standards and design tools
- Other responsibilities as required
What do you need to succeed?
- Minimum 2-7 years' experience in the building envelope industry (or similar)
- Must have working knowledge of building envelope systems and building science principles.
- Must have a working knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office Suite programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written with the ability to manage complex situations with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing to work at heights, including climbing ladders, accessing attics, and working on swing stages or other similar components as required
- Must have a valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle and maintain throughout employment.
Additional Assets Considered in Application
In addition to the above, the following list would be considered 'bonus' in terms of capability and experience but are not necessarily listed as required. Note each of these are presented independently, and experience/familiarity with any is considered an asset:
- Experience in the following programs: Flixo, Solidworks, Therm, WUFI , HAM
- Experience calculating thermal resistance ratings for building envelope assemblies.
- Experience, knowledge and interest in Passive House building envelope design strategies
- Experience with AutoCAD (any version)
- Experience with Revit (any version)
- Access to a passport and ability to travel for work if required (both domestic and international)
- Bachelor's degree in building science, engineering or architecture; or equivalent training.
- Current professional designation with APEGA or ASET.
Entuitive is a multi-disciplinary consulting engineering practice with a vision of bringing together engineering and intuition to enhance building performance. Founded in 2011 and backed by decades of experience, we're taking design performance to new heights through our collaboration with clients in North America and internationally including architects, developers, building owners and managers and construction professionals.
Our practice encompasses building envelope, energy modeling, transportation, sustainability, structural, restoration, and special projects consulting. We earn our reputation by applying our ingenuity and use of leading-edge technology, including BIM, in a wide variety of sectors, including commercial, sports and recreation, institutional, cultural, residential, retail, healthcare, transportation and hospitality.
Our core purpose is to realize our potential for the fulfillment of our people, our clients and our communities. We strive to build a better world by being creative, collaborative, and advanced. We are Entuitive. Entuitive is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees and clients feel valued, respected, and supported.
Our offices have a diverse and experienced team of building envelope specialists that service the variety of industries noted above. Working closely together has fostered a strong sense of belonging and collaborative workflow, in which the dynamic is truly as a 'team', rather than just saying as much. Alongside mentorship and access to a variety of beneficial resources, internal training is an ongoing initiative to help develop each team member further along what each person finds of interest. The goal is to never become stagnant, and always be on the forefront of innovation.
With current working styles changing, Entuitive has adopted a fluid hybrid approach which is currently a combination of working from home, working at the office, and being on sites. Entuitive will provide the basics to allow working remotely as required.