Please quote Competition # TR-1494CM-CB
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or on your resume.
- The clerk provides a broad range of administrative support.
- The clerk is the first contact person for clients of the court system and deal directly with the public.
- The clerk will receive and balance monies paid into the court.
- The clerk enters and retrieves data from automated systems, records and processes documentation, maintains filing systems, monitors new process and works as a team player to develop solutions to new process.
- May attend court as a court clerk to call cases and swear or affirm witnesses, interpreters and translators.
- Performs duties as a Justice of the Peace as required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Grade 11 plus four years’ related experience or an acceptable equivalent of related experience and training.
- Post- secondary training in a related discipline with experience in a legal environment is preferred.
- Experience and competency in an automated computerized environment with proficient and accurate keyboarding and data entry skills.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate above average customer service skills.
- Experience in processing large amounts of money is essential, with a proven understanding of accounting/bookkeeping principles.
- The successful candidate must have a demonstrated ability to deal effectively with the public in a multifaceted and stressful environment, often in confrontational and sensitive situations.
- The clerk must demonstrate sound judgment, attention to detail, and the ability to work under pressure and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills are required.
- The clerk must exercise a high level of confidentiality.
- Sound knowledge of the justice system and government services for referral purposes are preferred.
- Bilingual in French Language– both oral and written skills will be considered an asset.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer or will result in termination of your employment.
Pay Grade: CL 18
Salary Range: $21.04 - $23.54 (hourly)
Closing Date: July 29, 2014
• Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications. In your cover letter identify the competition number, position and department.
• To apply for this position, simply click on the “Apply Online Now” button. To serve you better, we are using a user-friendly on-line application system through Career Beacon. Online applications are required and will provide benefits for you, as outlined below. All submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date.
• First time users to this on-line application system simply need to complete a quick basic registration to receive a username and password. If an email is not immediately received, please check your junk mail folder to ensure that it did not get directed there. Once registered, you will be able to upload your resume and cover letter in seconds or create them using the editor option in the system. Clicking on the “Apply Online Now” button will bring you to the registration or sign on screen. If you encounter any difficulties with your registration or technical issues, simply call 1-888-878-7637 for assistance (Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30).
• If after speaking with Career Beacon you are still unable to apply using this online system (check with your local library or CAP (Community Access Program www.nscap.ca) site for free computer/internet access), please call (902) 424-3709 to make other arrangements to submit your application. It is important that you contact us prior to the closing date
• Benefits of applying online - The system will allow us to send an immediate confirmation email that your application was received. In addition, you can store your application on the system and access a copy of it as well as the posting at a later date if needed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more about this Employer