Marine Safety, Quality & Environment Manager
As part of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Oceanex Inc. is Atlantic Canada’s leader in intermodal transportation. We provide door-to-door transportation service from anywhere in North America to destinations in Newfoundland and Labrador. We are proud to offer our employees a positive work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits. When you are a member of the Oceanex team, you enjoy a stable career where your ideas are encouraged and skills valued.
Oceanex Inc. is presently recruiting a Marine Safety, Quality & Environment Manager. Reporting to the Vice President Vessel Management, this shore-based position is located in our St. John’s corporate office. The Marine Safety, Quality & Environment (MSQE) Manager monitors operations relating to the Safety Management System (SMS) under the ISM Code and manages quality and environmental functions as they relate to marine fleet of vessels.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Manage the company’s marine safety, quality and environmental initiatives;
- Develop, implement and monitor company processes and procedures for continuous improvement to maintain the highest level of safety and quality within our marine fleet through audits, assessments, discussions and meetings with key shipboard personnel;
- Establish reliable methods and systems for improving safety, health and environmental performance;
- Work in partnership with shore-based managers in Technical and Crewing Divisions with a focus on an integrated one-team approach to marine fleet operations;
- Conduct proactive strategic assessments of safety/quality/environmental costs and provide continuous evaluation of trends and best practices in these areas;
- Ensure training and certification programs are implemented as needed to maintain compliance with company policies and regulatory requirements;
- Monitor near-miss reports; manage the process to ensure follow-up, corrective actions and appropriate closure to each near-miss;
- Coordinate and conduct inspections and audits; serve as lead auditor; investigate incidents, accidents and non-conformances; supervise corrective actions; collect, maintain and report on statistics; monitor regulations; disseminate information; review and monitor reports and minutes; control & maintain an effective documentation system;
- Prepare for and participate in Management Safety Review Meetings;
- Carry out the functions required to maintain quality and environmental certifications, as well as voluntary industry initiatives such as Green Marine;
- Utilize computerized ship management system (AMOS) as a tool for managing MSQE initiatives;
- Update the SMS manuals on a continued basis;
- Ensure that the fleet Safety Management System (SMS) is understood by seagoing staff and shore support employees; deliver training as required;
- Promote and maintain a culture in which safety is the overriding value in all activities and in which every team member sees “safe” operations as their top priority;
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Master Mariner certification or equivalent;
- Career experience and post-secondary studies in Safety, Quality & Environment;
- Experience at sea, preferably with multi-purpose container / RoRo vessel operations;
- Broad knowledge of safety, compliance and quality regulatory requirements;
- Background in marine safety management and quality systems such as ISM and ISO.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to deliver information at a grassroots frontline level, as well as communicate effectively with senior associates and external industry organizations;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to manage competing demands and shifting priorities;
- Cooperative working style and excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work independently within an integrated team-based environment;
- Proficiency in MS Office; experience with computerized ship management systems;
- Bilingualism (English and French) an asset;
- Willing to do some travel.
You are interested and believe you have all the qualifications? Please forward your resume, quoting competition number MSQEM1204-CB, and cover letter as soon as possible to:
Baine Johnston Centre
701-10 Fort William Place
St. John's, NL Canada A1C 1K4
To apply electronically, submit an application by clicking on the Apply Online Now button.
Oceanex Inc. is committed to equity in employment and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all candidates for their interest, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.